Coláiste Eoin Students’ Council was established a number of years ago. Its aims are:
- to create in cooperation with the Principal, staff and students, a better school life for the students of our school.
- to provide students with opportunities for leadership and to develop in all students a sense of responsibility.
- to encourage the students in the school to become more aware of how the school is run and to constructively identify and express their needs.
- to contribute to overall school development by being involved in school policy development.
- to act as liaison, where appropriate, between the students and the teaching staff and management.
The Students’ Council consists of:
- an elected representative from each class in Coláiste Eoin 1st –5th year
- a representative of staff (Student Council Liaison Teacher)
- the staff representative will oversee meetings but does not have a vote.
The council consists of one democratically elected representative of each class. Elections are usually held for class representatives during the first term. Representatives elected in first year may continue on to third year and representatives elected in fourth year may continue on to fifth year. This decision is made at the final meeting of the student council each year. Elections will be democratic and by secret ballot. Only the students vote in Student Council Elections.
After the council has been formed, the entire council elects the following officers:
- Deputy Chairperson
- Public Relations Officer
- Treasurer (if required).
These positions are filled by a democratic process.
One of the first activities of the Student Council was to draw up its constitution. Every year this is reviewed by the incoming Students’ Council. The Students’ Council have organised various events over the years including a Multi-Cultural Week and Non-Uniform days. They have also been consulted on issues such as the anti-bullying policy and changing the uniform for the girls.